Sunday 27 May 2018

"These Shoes, They Fit Perfectly!"



"These Shoes, They Fit Perfectly!"

Today (27th May 2018) sees the 22nd Anniversary of the transmission of 'Doctor Who : The TV Movie' (or whatever else you want to call it!) starring Paul McGann.

I can hardly believe that it's almost half a lifetime since I first sat down to watch.

Though, of course, I could have seen it before the 8.30 pm transmission slot as the video came out several days before. And while I will admit to taking a look at the opening I wanted to wait and watch it live so to speak.



Andrew on the other hand tells me that he had watched it at least three times before its BBC One showing...

And I was thrilled with what I saw. Now, looking back, I can see one or two details that don't quite work, but I still really enjoy it and love Paul McGann's characterisation of a young and dashing Doctor. The future seemed very bright at the time.

Sadly it would be a further 9 years before The Doctor would have a regular set of adventures which would also see a change of lead actor.



But in many ways The TV Movie sets some of the groundwork for the 21st century series; the kiss between The Doctor and Grace being only one example.

And I must confess that the new theme music always gives me a shiver down my spine and makes me a little emotional as so much hope was invested in the drama.

I must also apologize to all of the McGann brothers for our complete failure to remember the title of 'The Hanging Gale', their drama set at the time of the potato famine. Which we rather naughtily termed 'The Potatos of Doom', so sorry for that also!



Ironically in this drama Paul McGann wears a costume not unlike that of the 8th Doctor.
Obviously the best thing to come out of The TV Movie is Paul McGann who after the non-appearance of a full series would go on to star in many wonderful Big Finish adventures.

I hope one day he is given the chance to appear in the current version of the show, either opposite Jodie Whittaker's 13th Doctor or maybe in a flashback episode.

Thank you for all of those involved for those (nearly!) 90 minutes of fun, enjoyment and hope.



(By Lisa Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...