Tuesday 12 June 2018

I am the Master!



I am the Master!

This week will see Roger Delgado's Master being introduced to some new fans as Twitch speeds through Seasons 8 and 9 of 'Doctor Who'. Being slightly too young to remember any of his stories on original transmission, I first encountered the character in the Target book range but he came across so vividly even in print that I can't quite put my finger on when I first saw him on video.

I guess that means I felt like I already knew the Master, but the many interviews done with the Pertwee team also gave me a consistent impression of Roger himself.



John Kelly's profile of him for the DVD range, simply entitled 'Roger Delgado :  The Master' only reinforces the idea that here was a kind and gentle man, loved by everyone lucky enough to meet him.

Fittingly, whilst rewatching this piece, I got a bit teary-eyed for someone I'd never met, just hearing his friends talk about him.



It's also interesting to note the many connections Roger had with the Troughton era, having worked with both Pat and Frazer Hines, plus starring in Victor Pemberton's radio serial 'The Slide' which isn't a million miles away from 'Fury From The Deep'.

Another important name in Roger's career is Shaun Sutton, whose influence on 'Doctor Who' is often overlooked and this documentary helps to join the dots and build up a bigger picture.



There's the tale about how Jon Pertwee was a little concerned about the 'Radio Times' cover that gave Roger such a prominent part, but it's inevitable that someone so good will give the star of the show a run for their money. If Roger hadn't been such a success in the part, there wouldn't have been much call for the character to return time and time again.

We've seen Roger in a couple of other roles that are not mentioned here including apperances in 'Sergeant Cork : The Case Of The Great Pearl Robbery' and 'The Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes : Madame Sara'. Every time you see him you are reminded just how damn good he was.



'Roger Delgado : The Master' is a moving tribute to an actor who was not only highly talented, but loved. And I make no apology for using that word again.

Perhaps in life, we should all try to be a bit more like Roger Delgado. It might do the world some good.


(By Andrew Trowbridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...