Sunday 5 August 2018

Peter Capaldi is Doctor Who


Peter Capaldi is Doctor Who

5 years ago yesterday (4th August) Peter Capaldi was announced as Doctor Who live on BBC One.
I must admit to a small wobble just before he was annouced as I was convinced that Ben Daniels was about to be named as the new Doctor and I can't say I was thrilled at the prospect.

But having seen him since in 'Star Wars: Rogue One' I think he would have been a good choice.
Going back to the annoucement, though, I was very pleased when Peter' s name was called and he stepped on to the stage doing his best William Hartnell impression, clasping his lapels for all he was worth. And it was definitely a nice bonus when his eyebrows popped up in 'The Day Of The Doctor'.
When his debut came in 'Deep Breath' I really liked his version of the Doctor, feeling quite sorry for him when it seems that Clara preferred his last incarnation.


I loved him in 'Robot Of Sherwood', bickering with Robin Hood and being generally grumpy.
But I must admit to having a bit of a wobble in the middle of the series around the time of 'Kill The Moon' as he is very unlikeable in this story and I wasn't sure I liked this version of the Doctor. But by the end of 'Flatline' he had won me back over with his speech to the Boneless.

DOCTOR: The man that stops the monsters. I'm sending you back to your own dimension. Who knows? Some of you may even survive the trip. And, if you do, remember this. You are not welcome here. This plane is protected. I am the Doctor.

(He turns, and Clara throws him the sonic screwdriver.)

DOCTOR: And I name you The Boneless.

At that point Peter for me was the Doctor, the champion of the weak and oppressed.


I also loved the bits with the mini-TARDIS and the 'Addams Family' / Thing tribute when the Doctor propels it along with his hand and his little victory dance which almost costs him his life.

And then came along 'In The Forest Of The Night' and I absolutely loved it! I love the feel of the story and the bit when the Doctor panics at the though of Maebh is going to be killed is brillantly done.

I should say that I loved 'Mummy On The Orient Express' too, but was still doubting the Doctor a little at this point. But I can see on repeated viewings that he is doing his best to make up to Clara for putting her through an awkward situation in 'Kill The Moon'.

When Peter's second series started and the Doctor appeared in the tank with his guitar and his sonic sunglasses on, I really enjoyed it.  And the fact that the character had mellowed a lot. In fact, the bigger Peter's hair is the more relaxed the Doctor seems to be.

And his outstanding performance in 'Heaven Sent' is a tour de force and one that really he should have won an award for.


He has great comic timing in 'The Husbands of River Song', which is a great screwball comedy which Rock Hudson and Doris Day wouldn't be out of place in and sees a fitting end to River Song's story.
In his last series his relationship with Bill and Nardole is wonderful and made me wish that his time wasn't coming to an end and that we could have had another year of fun with this lovely trio.

And this series contains some truly excellent episodes climaxing in the superb 'World Enough And Time' and 'The Doctor Falls' with the return of the Mondasian Cybermen.

I know a lot of people don't really like 'Twice Upon a Time' due to the attitude of rhe First Doctor, but I believe that his character and face are different as he is mid regeneration and is affected more than he is letting on. I'm really fond of this story and feel it is a fitting end to the 12th Doctor and Peter's time.

Of course, I wish that Peter had stayed on for longer, but I look forward to the start of Jodie's series and to meeting the 13th Doctor.

Vive la Doctor!

(By Lisa Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...