Monday 15 October 2018

Music, music, music.


Music, music, music.

So it's Week Two of 'Doctor Who' and we get both the opening and closing titles for 'The Ghost Monument'.

And they are wonderful. The mix of the opening howl(a)round title sequence and the accompanying electronic theme tune are a refreshing change.

Segun Akinola brings a different feel to the series; his music is more in the background and almost veers towards sound effects at some points.


I look forward to seeing (or hearing) where he will take the incidental music next. I really like what he's doing and hope that there will be be a CD release very soon.

Having said that, I still really love Murray Gold's 'Doctor Who' music and quite often listen to it on the way to work.

'I Am The Doctor' is my favourite piece of his and I will often listen to it to cheer myself up if I feel a bit sad. It never fails to lift my mood. It reminds me of going to the 'Doctor Who' Experience in both London and Cardiff with Andrew & Warren and having a great time.


'Song Of Freedom' isn't far behind and I will admit to getting a little emotional whilst listening to it even when at the 2010 proms at the Albert Hall.

But there are many pieces that I love that bring back happy memories of watching 'Doctor Who' with friends and family.

I know that a lot of Murray's music is perceived as too bombastic and over the top, but I really love it as it's the kind of music I could listen to all day. It might not be a coincidence that Wagner, Holst and Mussorgsky are amongst my favourite composers.


The 'Doctor Who' theme itself is quite simply the best theme tune in the world and has never been beaten in any of its many variations.

Which just shows how strong Ron Grainer's theme and Delia Derbyshire's arrangement is; it's adaptable and wonderful and makes me happy.

I don't think you can ask for much more than that.


(Written by Lisa Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...