Monday 17 December 2018

Rocking Around 'The Box of Delights'


Rocking Around 'The Box of Delights'

Yesterday we spent an hour in the company of Kay Harker, Cole Hawlings and the dastardly Abner Brown, by which I mean we listened to the recently released soundtrack for 'The Box of Delights'.

Now I must hold up my hands and say that when I first saw an episode of 'Box' I wasn't that taken with it, finding it rather boring. I can only conclude that it was one of the middle Patrick Troughton-free episodes in which his absence is keenly felt.

As I've said before, it feels rather like the bit in 'The Hobbit' when Gandalf goes off on his own adventure leaving the main party to fend for themselves. No matter how many times I read it, I always rather hope that he won't go this time.


We haven't watched 'The Box Of Delights' for a couple of years since we covered it for 'Round The Archives' Episode Four, but listening to the music bought it all back and we will definitely have to dig it out next year.

And I've just started reading the book on my Kindle.

If you've never seen 'The Box of Delights' it concerns the adventures of Kay Harker, who on the way home from school for the Christmas holidays meets the mysterious Cole Hawkins, his Barney Dog and the villainous Abner Brown.


You would not know it from just watching the series but Kay has met Abner Brown before along with Abner's wife Sylvia Daisy Pouncer who was previously Kay's governess. But it explains both Kay's and Abner's familiarity and dislike of each other.

Although made in 1984 it still stands up pretty well today and the fact that the two main wolves in were called Quentin and Queenie always makes me grin.

Listening to the music yesterday I could picture some of the things that would be going on whilst the score was playing.


My favourite track is 23 which is named 'Kitchen Fugue/Here comes the Posset' which is a beautiful piece.

 And also tracks 49 ('Christmas Day In The Morning') and 50 ('Hely-Hutchinson: Carol Symphony - 3 Andante Quasi Lento E Cantabile') used as the opening and closing music which is presented in full and is simply glorious.

And as the music is the work of Roger Limb, I could also imagine Peter Davison running around breathlessly from time to time.


All in all 'The Box Of Delights' soundtrack is a very enjoyable listen and may even encourage you to watch the series if you have not yet done so.

Just be careful and don't drop the CD when you rumpage!

(Written by Lisa Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...