Monday 17 September 2018

Cambridge


Cambridge

Hot on the heels of our discovery of some old photos of York, a batch from Cambridge have come to light from the back of a cupboard in the bedroom.



Inevitably, there's a bias towards shots of us lurking in locations used in the incompleted 'Doctor Who' story 'Shada', but there are also a number featuring Bagpuss who came on the trip with us.
We've stayed in two hotels there.



One had a wedding do on (that involved bagpipes in place of the more common disco) and they even had a red carpet out, which we were a bit reluctant to walk on, as we felt that we weren't posh enough.



The other had a conference of German businessmen and had a TV channel dedicated to showing 'Star Trek : The Next Generation' in German complete with subtitles. If nothing else, we learnt that the German for 'dilithium crystals' is 'dilithium crystals'.


One time we went there, the sole of my show gave up the ghost on the first day and I had to visit the Emergency Cobblers. The chap did a fine job and wouldn't accept any money, simply asking me to put a pound in the charity box.


We then bought a copy of 'The Big Issue' and explored the shopping centre. As I wandered about, I was idly tapping my forehead with the magazine, thinking nothing of it. It was only when Lisa pointed out the huge dirty mark on my head, that I realised how much of the ink from the front cover had transferred itself to my noggin. Lisa ended up having to spit on a hanky and rub the ink off as though I was about five.


On one of our visits there, we remembered that we'd also booked tickets to see Kate O'Mara on stage in 'Passport To Pimlico' in Richmond, so we had to pop back into London, go and see the play and then return to continue our holiday, which if nothing else shows dedication. Or absent-mindedness...


We did visit 'The Anchor' pub, as it features in Mr Zipser's pub-crawl / condom hunt in 'Porterhouse Blue' and I made sure that I visited the Gents in his honour. Whilst there, we got some entertainment by watching people having trouble controlling their punts on the river, although being plunged into darkness when the electricity supply went off was rather unexpected.


We did feel flush once and ordered the full Afternoon Tea experience, with multi-level plates bedecked with cakes and tiny sandwiches, which now I've written about it, I wouldn't mind having today.


Or maybe I should just cut the Cheddar Ploughman's roll I've just got into lots of little pieces...


Our short video about Cambridge can be seen here.

(Written by Andrew Trowbridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...