Monday 14 January 2019

Sonic Waves 4 - UNIT tapezine 5



Sonic Waves 4 - UNIT tapezine 5


No, it's not the result of some long-forgotten tapezine football match (as I strongly suspect that such a thing has never happened, at least in the world of 'Doctor Who' fandom) but the latest recoveries from some of our long-forgotten drawers.

Issue 4 of 'Sonic Waves' was the first tapezine I ever clapped ears on and I remember I played it over and over again, surprised and delighted that such a thing existed.

Originally released in October 1985, it planted the idea in my head (and Warren's of course) that maybe one day we could attempt something similar and I soon sent off for the back issues. The hardest thing was getting hold of blank C90 tapes, as I lived in the wilds of Dorset and tracking down such high technology required a car journey into urban wastelands such as Wimborne.

Two more issues were to follow, with Issue 6 being an ambitious two-tape release that ran for three hours! So maybe even that's been an influence on our longer podcasts!

UNIT tapezine Issue 5 was released in April 1986, but was sadly the last edition of this particular title. But it was the first place I heard any material from 'The Gunfighters', for which I will always be grateful.

I certainly intend to give these a relisten at some point and I suspect that I'll be able to join in quoting the articles as they play, as they were burned into my memory by the end of the 1980s.

And, yes, I think we've also got at least one issue of 'The Master Tape' knocking around as well...

(Written by Andrew Trowbridge)

3 comments:

  1. And a Sonic Wave from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it looks like this former tapezine producer is now in George Cranleigh mode as 'The Unknown'. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps a lemonade with lot of ice? Or a screwdriver?

    ReplyDelete

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...