Monday 5 November 2018

The Tsuranga Conundrum


The Tsuranga Conundrum

Now, I'm no biologist (even If I have been known to dabble in microbiology from time to time), but the more I thought about any possible circumstances under which a creature as unlikely as the Pting could evolve, the more the Red Alert started to sound in my mind.


I've read the odd speculative piece about how life might exist in the most extreme of circumstances, but a second viewing of 'The Tsuranga Conundrum' only cemented the notion that we were dealing here with a creature that had more in common with the Gremlin from the 1943 Bugs Bunny cartoon 'Falling Hare' than any upgraded Kaled mutant.

In our video, Lisa makes a strong case for the Pting being an artifically created creature used as some sort of deceptively cute war weapon and I cannot fault the logic here.


But as fans we like to join the dots betweem stories, no matter how many decades apart they might be. And such is my love for 'The Mind Robber' that I could hardly pass up the opportunity to suggest that this CGI Space Gremlin had actually escaped from the Land Of Fiction, possibly taking a nip out of Gulliver's boots on the way out.

It's a bonkers theory, I agree, but the Pting is a bonkers creation from the point of view of anyone with even a basic grasp of evolutionary biology.

Maybe next season though, we'd better have that adventure with Charles Darwin that I've always wanted to see...

Just to be on the safe side...


Our video about 'The Tsuranga Conundrum' can be seen here.

(Written by Andrew Trowbridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available!

  'Round The Archives In Conversation' Episode 20 now available! "Fred Harris haunted my nightmares!" This time Bob Fische...